Street Parties

Harrow Council encourages and welcomes street parties to celebrate events such as the Queen's 90th Birthday or The Big Lunch.

Additionally we will not charge for the traffic order that is required to close roads for street parties.

If you want to hold a street party you should read through the following information and complete an Application Form through EventApp

This advice is intended for small, self-organised events for residents/neighbours only.

There are some conditions that apply. Please be aware that for Street Parties that involve sales or provide entertainment to the wider public you will need to apply to hold a Commercial Event and you may also require a Temporary Event Notice (TEN).

Closing a road

If you want to close a section of the public highway to hold your street party, you will need to apply for a temporary road closure and you will need to give the council at least six weeks notice.

It is usually easier to arrange a party in cul-de-sacs and other quiet roads that are not traffic sensitive or bus routes. If your road cannot be closed, you could look at combining your party with another nearby street or perhaps use a grassed area large enough to accommodate your party. You will need to show that other residents in the street are in favour of the road being closed and affected residents or businesses will need to be notified in writing.

The event organiser will be responsible for sourcing the required road signs and traffic barriers needed to implement the closure (available at most tool hire suppliers). The council will provide a plan showing the required number of signs and barriers together with details of where they should be located.

A clear passage (free from obstruction), 3 metres wide must be maintained through the closure, for emergency vehicle access.

For further information on street parties, such as the requirements please contact us at

Street party requirements

You must have public liability insurance to the value of £5 million and a copy of the schedule of cover must be submitted with your application. Harrow Council will not be responsible for any damage to property or injury to any person arising in connection with the holding of the street party. This usually costs in the region of £50.

Risk assessment
While the council does not require a lengthy, in depth risk assessment, you will need to show that you have thought about how you can minimise risk, for example — What would you do if there was bad weather

Music, alcohol and food
If you plan to serve alcohol, food, sell goods or provide music, dancing or similar entertainment you should discuss your individual circumstances with the licensing team (details below).

Street decorations
It is traditional to have bunting, balloons and banners to decorate the road for the party. However you must not attach anything to street furniture, such as lighting columns and you must ensure that if it does span the width of the road, you have it at a height of at least 3 metres. This is so that the decorations do not cause an obstruction to emergency vehicles should they need to access the road.

Barbeques, bonfires or fireworks
Barbeques, bonfires or fireworks will not be allowed on the road, pavement or grass verges.

It is unlikely that you would need permission if tickets are sold on the day and the prizes are not worth more than £500 in total. If tickets are sold in advance of the event you will need to discuss your requirements with the licensing team (details below).
Any profit from the tombola/raffle must go to a good cause such as charity or even towards covering the cost of your party.

Cleaning and tidying
You will need to clean up after your street party. Please let people know in advance what time the party will finish and have an area set aside for rubbish bags and recycling.


Useful contacts

020 8736 6257 (general licensing)
020 8420 9900 (tombola/raffle)

Apply for a street Party